The history and families of Turvey in Bedfordshire, England

©2011 Deborah Richardson

The Turvey Website

Privacy Policy

Terms & Conditions


Home Mail:

The Three Cranes, standing just to the left of the Church entrance, was built in the early 1700s.  It is famous for its Sunday lunches.

The village butchers is to the left of the pub.

The building has been listed as Grade II since 1952.

Three Cranes Pub at Turvey

The Three Cranes was  known as ‘The Chequers’ until at least 1847.

The Three Cranes at Turvey

Photo: June 2012

Click image to enlarge

Click the map to enlarge.

Even the toilet doors are attractive!

Click to enlarge.

The inside of The Three Cranes on 5 June 2012.

The pub is decorated for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II

Publicans of the Three Cranes

1847 - Mrs Mary Finch

1861 - Joseph Pickford  Finch (born 1805 - also a butcher)

1864 - Joseph Pickford Finch

1877 - Mrs Elizabeth Finch (also a butcher)

1881 - Elizabeth Finch

1898 - Robert Thomas Hammond

1901 - Robert T. Hammond

Topsy Turvey!

Publican Robert Hammond had a daughter in 1876.  

He called her Topsy.

She was born in Eye, Suffolk, but was living with her father in the Three Cranes in 1901.

Above is a very early photo of the pub.  In the picture on the right you can see the Bedford to Northampton omnibus

Click either picture to enlarge.