©2015 Deborah Richardson
During the nineteenth century a number of non-
Kelly's Directory of 1898 names both a Wesleyan Methodist and a Congregational church.
The house of Jeremiah Sansome was registered as a Baptist meeting house in November 1824. The house was occupied by Robert Tysoe at this time.
The Weslyan Chapel was registered on 13 December 1828 by George Finch who was a Turvey baker.
The following burials listed in the Parish Registers are noted as having been Quakers.
1723, May 12 -
1727, Sep 22 -
1727, Sep 28 -
1730, Feb 19 -
1731, Sep 11 -
1731, Sep 20 -
Turvey Residents who were buried in the West End Baptist Meeting House in Stevington
John Norris and his wife, Elizabeth Norris
In 1663, William Richardson, George Hates, Richard Woodin and Robert Tysoe (all yeomen of Turvey) appeared before the Bedfordshire Winter Assizes for not attending church on 1 April 1662.
The reason given was “Being people commonly called Quakers, did not attend church”.