with bay window & fitted tiled slow combustion stove
Kitchen - about 16 foot x 14 foot
with tiled floor and good range
Pantry with sink (hot & cold water) and dresser
Scullery and Dairy, Brewhouse and Coalhouse
Five bedrooms on the first floor, one bathroom
bedrooms all have fitted fireplaces
bathroom has fitted hot and cold supplies & WC
Three bedrooms on the top floor
The house had “Company Gas” and got its water from a well.
The garden featured lawns, flowers and yew hedges
The farm buildings included:
Four-bay open cattle shed Loose box
Pig-stye (pigsty) and mixing barn
Brick and iron cow shed for eight
Calf pen and three-bay open cow shed
Brick stabling for six
Corn barn, wood & coal store and five-bay cart lodge
Grindstone Hill Farm
This was a dairy and stock farm, close to the railway.
In 1919 the farm house was described as “old fashioned stone and tiled”.
Small hall with tiled floor Sitting room with beamed ceiling and hob grate Kitchen with range Large scullery with sink, open fireplace and baking oven Dairy with beamed ceiling Cooling house Five bedrooms
The farm buildings comprised of:
Nag stable for two (sic) Hen cote Three Cow sheds for six, five and nine Loose box Barn Timber and tiled open shed
Click the image to enlarge.
This picture is from 1906 and shows men threshing the wheat harvest. The machine on the left is a mechanical thresher.
Click the picture to enlarge.
Crown Farm was occupied by George and Maria Maycock and their 5 adult children in 1881.
Cecil Rouse was the farmer at Crown Farm in 1898.
This postcard shows the horse drawn reapers which would have been a regular sight each year. Right up until the middle of this century, the villagers would attend the harvest - small children would scurry around the fields after the reaper, looking for any odd ears. This was called gleening.
The Great Oaks farmhouse has been a grade II listed building since 27 August 1987.
Here is a link to the English Heritage details of the building in 1987.